Millions of people all over the world are sober because of AA. This includes sober alcoholics from the LGBTQIA community. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, then come to your first meeting.
AA meetings are anonymous, no one has to give their name, no record of attendance is taken, and nothing is written about what people say. There isn’t a charge/cost for attending, but donations help cover the cost of running the meeting, refreshments, and AA as a whole – it is simply a suggestion for people to do when they can.
- There are a vast number of meetings that run on Zoom, providing access for people in and all around the world.
- Some face-to-face meetings also run with Zoom, referred to as a hybrid meeting.
- An ‘open meeting‘ means anyone can attend, even if they are not an alcoholic (e.g. a family member or friend of the person who is an alcoholic).
- A ‘closed meeting‘ means only those who have a desire to stop drinking can attend. It does not mean that the meeting isn’t running.
There are various sources of information to help you find an AA meeting. This includes international, national, and local meeting directories. You can also call the AA helplines for support to find a meeting.
|UK telephone helpline number for AA is 0800 917 7650|
|Manchester telephone helpline is 0161 839 2881|
The Manchester, Greater Manchester and Lancashire meeting’s list can be downloaded here
LGBTQIA meetings in Manchester
- Mon. 19:30-21:00 (*open meeting) Step 11 meeting (basically this just means it starts with a short meditation and everyone can attend). Ground floor, The Proud Trust, 49-51 Sidney Street, Manchester M1 7HB (lift available)
- Tues. 19:30:-21:00 Young Person’s meeting. Phoenix Mill, 20 Piercy St, Ancoats M4 7HY. Also on Zoom Manchester’s Young Person’s AA Meeting | Young People In AA Manchester
- Wed. 19:00-20:00 (*open meeting). First floor, The Proud Trust, 49-51 Sidney Street, Manchester M1 7HB (lift available)
- Fri. 19:30-21:00 (*open meeting) Live and Let Live. First floor, The Proud Trust, 49-51 Sidney Street, Manchester M1 7HB (lift available) and on Zoom https://zoom.us/j/672331388 (password: 032125)
- Sat. [26/08/23 Only! 09:30-11:00] 10:30-12:00 (*closed meeting) Gay Men in Recovery The Village Hall, Deansgate Mews, Deansgate, Manchester M3 4EW
Meetings around the world:
|LGBTQIA AA around the world. Some meetings register with Gay and Sober. Click Here|
|General meetings around the world. AA International meeting finder: Click Here|
Find your way in Manchester – these are what the buildings look like.
The meeting at The Proud Trust is held in the new gold building.
The venue for the Saturday meeting looks like this.